Hayden learned a new song last week and we sang it during Family Home Evening.
I love to see the temple
I'm going there someday
To feel the Holy Spirit
To listen and to pray
For the temple is a house of God
A place of love and beauty
I'll prepare myself while I am young
This is my sacred duty
I love to see the temple
I'll go inside someday
I'll covenant with my Father
I'll promise to obey
For the temple is a holy place
Where we are sealed together
As a child of God I've learned this truth:
A family is forever
He first learned the song as I was singing it to him one day. He started repeating it back. "Go temple, go temple." My eyes got kind of teary as I listened to him. I thought about how much I want for him to receive the blessings of the temple one day. I know he has no idea what's in store for him. He doesn't know how much I really do look forward to the day when he is able to make covenants in the temple, and to be sealed for eternity to his wife. The Savior has a plan for him, and the temple is a part of it.
3 John 1:4
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.

I love the temple.
On our wedding day, we were sealed for time and eternity. Never again in my eternal existence do I have to be without my family. This is what gets me through my rough days. As long as I have Derrick, Hayden, and Halle, I'm ok. And I do. I have them forever! What a blessing!
Now the temple is over an hour away versus the short 3 minute drive down the road before we moved. And now, instead of dropping the kids off at the neighbor's for 2.5 hours while we go, we take them with us and either take turns going in or go with another couple and take turns watching all our kids. It turns into an all day event. We haven't been able to go yet, and I miss it. I miss the peaceful feeling I feel as soon as I walk in those doors.
My visiting teachers visited with me last week and the message for this month was on temples. The sister that gave the lesson is a convert and is looking forward to going to the temple later this year. She asked us to teach her, and to tell her how we felt and how we prepared. All we had to do was talk about the temple and the spirit was there so strong it gave us all goosebumps and got us teary. It was a testimony to me that it's real. It's not just something that you do when you get older, not a rite of passage, not for social status. It's sacred and it's important work. It's real!
I know I usually just write about the kids or what we have been up to. I know I'm not the best writer, not the best at expressing my feelings. But it's been on my mind a lot lately, and I had to write it down. I had to share my feelings about how much I love the temple.
If you aren't familiar with what we do in temples :
The temple is a sacred place. Inside we are able to make covenants with our Father in Heaven. We learn eternal truths. We receive sacred ordinances that are necessary for our eternal progression. The crowning ordinance of the temple is the sealing, which allows us to be eternally bound to our families.
President Boyd K. Packer said,
“The ultimate purpose of all we teach is to unite parents and children in faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, that they are happy at home, sealed in an eternal marriage, linked to their generations, and assured of exaltation in the presence of our Heavenly Father."
We return to the temple to do that work by proxy for the dead so they can receive the blessings too, and to be reminded of the covenants we have made.
For more information see here: mormon.org or feel free to ask me questions.
I love to see the temple
I'm going there someday
To feel the Holy Spirit
To listen and to pray
For the temple is a house of God
A place of love and beauty
I'll prepare myself while I am young
This is my sacred duty
I love to see the temple
I'll go inside someday
I'll covenant with my Father
I'll promise to obey
For the temple is a holy place
Where we are sealed together
As a child of God I've learned this truth:
A family is forever
He first learned the song as I was singing it to him one day. He started repeating it back. "Go temple, go temple." My eyes got kind of teary as I listened to him. I thought about how much I want for him to receive the blessings of the temple one day. I know he has no idea what's in store for him. He doesn't know how much I really do look forward to the day when he is able to make covenants in the temple, and to be sealed for eternity to his wife. The Savior has a plan for him, and the temple is a part of it.
3 John 1:4
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.

I love the temple.
On our wedding day, we were sealed for time and eternity. Never again in my eternal existence do I have to be without my family. This is what gets me through my rough days. As long as I have Derrick, Hayden, and Halle, I'm ok. And I do. I have them forever! What a blessing!
Now the temple is over an hour away versus the short 3 minute drive down the road before we moved. And now, instead of dropping the kids off at the neighbor's for 2.5 hours while we go, we take them with us and either take turns going in or go with another couple and take turns watching all our kids. It turns into an all day event. We haven't been able to go yet, and I miss it. I miss the peaceful feeling I feel as soon as I walk in those doors.
My visiting teachers visited with me last week and the message for this month was on temples. The sister that gave the lesson is a convert and is looking forward to going to the temple later this year. She asked us to teach her, and to tell her how we felt and how we prepared. All we had to do was talk about the temple and the spirit was there so strong it gave us all goosebumps and got us teary. It was a testimony to me that it's real. It's not just something that you do when you get older, not a rite of passage, not for social status. It's sacred and it's important work. It's real!
I know I usually just write about the kids or what we have been up to. I know I'm not the best writer, not the best at expressing my feelings. But it's been on my mind a lot lately, and I had to write it down. I had to share my feelings about how much I love the temple.
If you aren't familiar with what we do in temples :
The temple is a sacred place. Inside we are able to make covenants with our Father in Heaven. We learn eternal truths. We receive sacred ordinances that are necessary for our eternal progression. The crowning ordinance of the temple is the sealing, which allows us to be eternally bound to our families.
President Boyd K. Packer said,
“The ultimate purpose of all we teach is to unite parents and children in faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, that they are happy at home, sealed in an eternal marriage, linked to their generations, and assured of exaltation in the presence of our Heavenly Father."
We return to the temple to do that work by proxy for the dead so they can receive the blessings too, and to be reminded of the covenants we have made.
For more information see here: mormon.org or feel free to ask me questions.
6 comments:
That was beautiful Erin! You are a wonderful writer. I have thought that before and should have said so.
Thank you for that beautiful tribute to the temple. I like your blog makeover. You're right about there being two engineers in your family! :)
Wow! Hayden is so cute, I'm so glad he learned that song, it's one of my favorites too! Erik said Temple the other day and I almost cried. It IS so rewarding to see your children grow in the gospel, I just love it!! Thanks for sharing your testimony about the Temple. I loved reading it and I love the temple too!
Temples are incredible! I love going to the temple. As I read this, I couldn't help but remember our middle/junior high school days and how far we have come since then... The gospel is incredible! It is truly the greatest thing that we have in our lives. It is what makes everything else possible!
Listening to Hayden sing that makes me miss him a lot!!! Thanks for sharing you feelings on the temple and its sacredness. Shaun and I are planning a trip to go on Wednesday and I can't wait. Going only once since I've had Riley is NOT enough!!
Wow, is all I can say. I love how perfectly you stated the purpose of the temple and expressed your love for it. I think we (those who live 3 minutes away from the temple) really do take for granted what we have been blessed with. Thank you for the reminder to be better. I love you!
That was neat to read - thanks for sharing all your thoughts. Claire loves that song and it used to be her standby request for naptime singing. She even went up to the temple one day (this was quite a while ago, probably when she was Hayden's age) and said, "temple - house of God." CUTE!
Post a Comment