We have had quite the sad day with little Hayden.
On Monday he played and was happy (although a little more ornery than usual) all morning. After lunch I turned a movie on for his quiet time and I put Halle down for a nap while I showered. He was asleep when I got out and he just stayed that way for while. I heard him start crying and moaning and so I went to see what he needed. He was telling me how bad his tummy hurt and he was burning up! I took his temperature and it was 103.7. A half hour later it was 104.8. I have never seen a fever that high and it was really scary for me. I guess it's just in my nature to worry about everything that might possibly happen, so I was nervous about febrile seizures since it had spiked so quickly and so suddenly.
I gave him some Motrin and a bath to try to get his fever down. He was not happy with me and just felt miserable. I wrapped him in some towels and laid him on the bed and he fell asleep again. Derrick came home early. I really could not decide if I should take him to the doctor. On one hand, his fever was really high and I had no idea what to do about abdominal pain. On the other, he had practically no other symptoms and sometimes kids just get sick. Then he started complaining about tummy pain again, and he was definitely for sure in pain. I decided I didn't want to have to go a whole night like this if it was just getting worse, or it could be something really wrong. Better safe than sorry. I felt like I should take him in. I called his Dr office, but there were no openings for the rest of the day so I took him to Urgent Care.
The doctor there was really nice. She did a strep test (which was not too popular with the boy who inherited my gag reflex) and told me to get a urine sample from him. Of course with a kid who is just potty trained, you always have them go before you leave the house so this was a super fun job. I had him drink a ton of juice. After one unsuccessful trip to the bathroom I had an idea. I went to the nurse's station and asked if they had any treats or stickers. We found the sticker jackpot and he got about 10. We even found a Thomas the Train sticker, so I knew this would work. We went to the bathroom and I promised him ALL the stickers if he would go. It worked! Here he is showing them off.

Both tests came back normal so she came back to talk to me about what the pain could possibly be. He was asleep in my arms by this time which was very unusual. She said it could be three things: bladder infection, strep, or possibly pneumonia. Bladder infection and strep were ruled out. She said because his fever was down and he was acting ok it would be ok to hold off on a chest x-ray and see what the doctor said in the morning, and if his symptoms were worse. I could take him home and have a follow up with his doctor in the morning. She wrote an RX for some antibiotics in case of a sinus infection since he had a runny nose for two weeks, which I thought were allergies. At that point Hayden woke up in pain. This was the worst. He was practically screaming and moaning in pain. He was wiggling all over and shaking.This alarmed the doctor and I told her that this was how he had been acting once in a while but never quite like this. She told me to go straight to the ER and she would call and let them know I was coming. No paper work, just go! I have to tell you that I am not usually the type mom who gets emotional when my kids are getting shots or are hurt. I can be tough. But this was so scary for me because I had no idea what was really wrong and I couldn't do anything to fix it, plus with the doctor seeming concerned enough that he needed to go the ER I was pretty much in tears. It's scary to see your baby in so much pain that they are shaking.
So I called Derrick who put Halle in bed and called a neighbor to come over so he could come with us. If you are reading this, THANK YOU so much Heidi! You are an angel and and such a good friend. What would I do without you?
We got there at 7:30ish, and NO WAITING! Wahoo! I have never seen or heard of that happening in an ER. The doc wanted a chest x-ray, blood tests, and an IV. Here he is an a cute little gown, but not feeling well at all. Still had a fever.
The x-ray was miserable, but the IV was the worst. He was asleep and we had to wake him up so he wouldn't get the shock of his life. But Daddy was there to hold him so he calmed down and fell asleep after a while. The IV did wonders! Soon he was ok with the mummy bandage on his arm and saying he was finally hungry after not wanting to eat since 11 am. So he got a popsicle! His fever was gone by this point too. Good thing Bear and his football blanket were there too.
A little sugar did him wonders too, and soon he was up and smiling and teasing us and telling me, "You go get me 'nother 'sicle, k?" I did. :)
The doctor came back and told us that he just kept going back to look at the x-rays because he suspected it, but it wasn't totally clear. His gut told him that it was lower left lobe pneumonia. So that was our diagnosis. After finishing the IV fluids and a bag of antibiotics, he was free to go home. We got home at 11ish? Can't really remember. He ate some chicken soup, and went to bed.
So it was a realllllly long night for all of us. He's on antibiotics now and doing great. His fever never came back. He still complains of pain and he's coughing more, but he's acting like his normal self for the most part. Last night was rough with coughing and throwing up, and this morning we had a little scare with coughing up blood which turned out to be normal. But he's happy and playing now. There were lots of prayers offered in his behalf, and I am so grateful that it turned out the way it did. It could have been so much worse. If you feel so inclined, pray for a quick and full recovery for him. He might look fine on the outside but the inside still has pneumonia to fight off. I am grateful for the little promptings I get when it comes to my kids. They come a little more strongly than others, and I think that's because Heavenly Father knows that I need all the help that I can get! He's looking out for our little family, and we are so blessed.
8 comments:
Yikes! I'm so glad to hear that he's doing better now!
That is so scary! We just went through the whole pneumonia thing with Maddie and I have to agree it is SO not fun. Especially before you figure out what is wrong with them. We will be praying for Hayden and we love you!
Oh my gosh how scary! Thank goodness Derrick was able to be there with you! Glad he's feeling better!
What a scary experience Erin. I AM so glad Hayden is okay. We will for sure pray for him! Pneumonia is such a tricky thing. It is hard to tell if they have it sometimes, without expensive tests. Sigh. Poor guy. You are such a good mom Erin.
So sad!!! glad he's doing better! Thats so miserable -for all of you!!! Goodluck guys! :)
I'm so glad you were able to get him to the doctor quickly. I'm glad he's doing better now. He's in our prayers. :)
Oh Erin - how scary!! I'm so sorry he had to go through all of that. I'm very happy to hear he is doing so much better.
Erin, I am amazed by your strength. How terrifying. I am so happy Hayden's doing better and I will keep you all in my prayers.
Post a Comment