How do you get them in and out of the car?
Getting them in the car from home is fine. Take Hayden to the car, go back to the house, get Halle. But getting them out is a whole different story. I had an appointment this week and I had to take them both. It's the first time I took them both out by myself (I had been avoiding it). So I got Hayden out and took him to the other side of the car to get Halle out. I said, "Stand right here and don't move. Wait for me ok!" And he did. He stood right there and didn't move while I got her out. And he held my hand while I carried the carseat in the other hand. But I honestly don't trust him to stand there every time. On the way back out I had to let go of his hand to unlock the door. Asking him to stand there didn't work this time. He started running around the parking lot! I had to hurry and put Halle in before I could go catch him, because I can't run with the carseat and I can't put her down on the ground and leave her there. Derrick said to put him in the car first, and put the carseat on the ground while I do it. But there was snow on the ground and I just don't feel comfortable leaving her on the ground. So what do you do? How do you get your kids in and out?
Fairy Pools, Loch Ness, Drumnadrochit
4 weeks ago
14 comments:
I only have one but I always make Olivia hold tight to my leg while I am getting stuff into the car. That way you know where they are at all times yet are able to get things into the car, i.e. your daughter! It has worked for me.
Ha! Hayden would never listen to me... He wouldn't do it. I was BEGGING him to come back, but he thought it was a game and ran away. That's just what a troublemaker he is.
Ok, I only have one, but I thought about having two the other day and what I would do when we went public places. I'm determined to get one of those harnesses with a leash. Is that bad?! The kind that makes them look like they have German lederhosen(sp?) on. I know they sell them, or used to, at Stork Landing. That way I'll just have them hooked to me at all times and they can only go so far. Maybe you could just tie him up! :D p.s. I'm anxious to see what experienced people write.
I guess Claire is pretty obedient or I just don't worry enough, because we haven't had too much of a problem with this. What Derek said will work though I think. Just put Hayden in first and then Halle. With her carseat on the ground for 30 seconds she'll be okay and the snow won't get on there too much. Just use a swaddle me or cover her car seat with a blanket.
I meant bundleme. . . oops
I hurry and put Amy in the house while Denton is still in his car seat. I set her down then go back to get Denton. Sometimes I carry him and her at the same time. It gets pretty heavy but it is only a few short steps. I have also put her on the ground while I put Denton in his carseat. They are not going to get hurt in their carseats.
Well it's not getting him into our house that's a problem since we have a garage. It's public places with busy parking lots that are the problem. I'm paranoid about setting the carseat on the ground because I had a friend whose brother was run over in his carseat and died.
Hi Erin,
Maybe you should move closer to your mom and she could go with you to help with Hayden...:) well, it was worth a try...
I can't really remember what I did with T.J. and Ash, but then car seats were a lot different back them.
p.s. Now you can't say that I never leave a comment.
Hey Erin, I know that I only have Spencer but when you are getting them out try unbuckling Hayden and have him climb through the car while you are getting Halle out. So only open up the one door on the one side of the car. I don't know if that will work, but to me it makes sense because he will still be in the car while you are getting Halle out. And then you can adjust how you want to hold her carseat and grab Hayden's hand when he is getting out. Hope this will work for you.
So when going places with two, if they have a carts I park closest to the cart return. Get out of the car, grab a cart and put them in the cart right away. If the place I go to does not have a cart I get out my double stroller(very much worth the money I spent) and use that to help me deal with the two.
I agree with the Butlers. Sometimes I just open the door on Reid's side, get him out and have Owen climb out that door so he is contained until we get out. But...Owen is in a booster and can unbuckle himself and he is four and therefore more capable of listening at this age. Hayden's age is tough because he just doesn't have the self control to listen every single time - like you said.
I also just put Reid on the ground. The likelihood of Halle getting hit is about the same as you getting in a car accident, or any of kind of accident happening. You do what you can to keep her as safe as possible and the rest is out of your hands. I am sure that Hayden's safety is just as important to you and having him run around the parking lot is less safe than putting a baby in a car seat on the ground. I guess you have to choose the lesser of two evils. I understand why you may be nervous though about setting Halle on the ground. When I set Reid down I try to do it as close to the car as possible, or between my car and the one next to me and move as quickly as possible scanning the cars around me.
I hope that helps.
I have missed you. When we are not a bunch of sickies we will have to invite you to come play.
Two wasn't a big problem for me, because Hailey was over three and understood the meaning of cars and how they could hurt her. Three has been a different story.... When Paxon was born Saidey was only 16 months and I was nervous. If I am going some where that has a cart I too grab a cart and put the in it from the car. If not, Hailey lets her self out and then I get Saidey out and set her on the floor of the car by Paxon's car seat so I can stand in the door way to keep her from getting out, then I get Pax out and hold Saidey's hand as she gets out. Getting back into the car I put Paxon's car seat on the ground in the door way and put Saidey in first then Paxon and make sure Hailey has buckled. Then we go. Hope that helps
Another idea may be to set her seat in the front seat while you put Hayden in since you do not feel good about putting her on the ground.
Ok...so I'm thinking you've GOT to put her on the ground. Right by your feet. Hayden sounds a bit like Molly when it comes to parking lots. Scares me TO DEATH! Getting IN...I would buckle him with her on the ground, and getting out, get her 1st, then take her to the other side and set her down while you get him out. It's the only way. Man, errands are HARD with babies. I am so sorry.
Post a Comment