March 24, 2011

Here's what we've been up to...

We live in a little subdivision where the houses are pretty close together.  We don't have much of a yard at all.  In face, our backyard is actually just a driveway.  However, we have had empty lots on both sides of us.  I've actually enjoyed having empty lots.  They might be weed fields in the summer, but it's not so bad when the mow them.  It's nice to not have neighbors right on top of you.  So I was pretty annoyed when I saw a surveying company come take measurements of one of the lots one day.  My first thoughts were about construction, noise, dirt, beeping trucks backing up, and lots of other unpleasant things.  And then the next day I heard Hayden yelling from his room, "MOMMY!  I SEE A TRACTOR OUTSIDE!"  They had started digging that day.  He was so excited, and he sat on his bed to look out the window, or through the sliding door in the kitchen all day.  Seriously, they pulled up little chairs to eat their lunch there by the window so they could watch.  Hours of free entertainment.  It was great.  This morning the started pouring cement which was also very exciting.  This time the workers noticed the kids watching from their window, so they all stood in a circle waving at the kids.  Hayden hid, and Halle sort of waved back.  Too funny.



Last week Derricks brother, aka Uncle Greg came to visit.  We went to the field museum in Chicago.  So fun!  Hayden's favorite part were the dinosaurs.  He's sitting in a dino footprint there. 


Halle was smitten with her Uncle the whole time.  The day after he arrived, she made him carry her around all day.  She would give him hugs and say, "I wuv you!  Sooooo much!"  I think he liked it.  And you can tell it's a family thing to swing little kids around a bit. :)


Playing some tree instruments... I forget what exhibit.


This is for Aunt Megs... They had a horse exhibit!  I think she might have even learned something new there. 


Halle is phasing out naps now... ugh.  She was really cranky this day and fell fast asleep with Uncle Greg reading a story.

For some reason that we can't figure out, we had a potato bug infestation in house one morning.  Of all the bugs to have, I guess potato bugs are a good one.  Harmless and they don't make much mess.  Hayden didn't like them, so he decided it was his job to pick them all up.  I came downstairs and found that he had found my pastry brush, and was sweeping them into a cup!  He put them in a jar to show Derrick when he got home.  And then he dropped them all over the floor again, so here he is picking them up for a second time.  What an idea!



Later that night for FHE we played prophet bingo.  Everyone was happy when Daddy pulled out the M&M's!


Since Halle turned two, I got her into the allergist again to see if she's still allergic to milk.  this time she was tested for milk, soy, and cats.  It was negative for soy and cats, but positive for milk this time.  I had given her some dairy things like ice cream and yogurt, and she hadn't had any reaction.  Because of this, the doctor suggested we come in for a challenge later.  He said even though she's showing up positive for this skin test, it was possible that she wasn't clinically allergic, because the skin test is so potent and will show any sensitivity. 


Sorry this one is so blurry, but you can see me trying to keep two kids entertained while we waited for the results.  The nurses gave us some crayons and let the kids color on the paper on the table.  What a great idea!  I'll always take crayons to doctor offices from now on.  We drew pictures of our family, including the new baby, pictures of Halle with pokes on her back, and pictures of the temple.  Hayden asked me to draw the angel Moroni on the temple, and then he was so excited when he found an actual gold crayon.  It was fun to  leave that for the nurses. :)


He was feeling very protective of his little sister that day.  When I told them we were taking Halle to the doctor he started asking if she was getting pokes.  I tried to explain that she would get little scratches on her back, but they might just itch and not hurt.  There would be no needles.  But he begged and begged me not to hurt his sister.  When the time came, Halle just sort of sat on my lap and looked around.  I ended up having to  put her down and pick up Hayden to comfort him, because he was crying!  The whole thing was pretty comical.  He loves his sister.

When I took Halle in for her challenge, I left Hayden with a friend.  I knew we would be there for over an hour and a half, and it stressed me out to think of them both getting bored in that tiny room with so many things off limits to their little hands.  They were both pretty distraught about being apart.  I guess I hadn't thought about the fact that they are always together.  It's very rare for one to be without the other, and they are the best of friends.  Halle kept saying, "Where my Hayden go?  I want my Hayden to go in his car seat."  They gave each other a big hug when they were reunited.  So sweet!  


Here she is being cheesy during her challenge.  I brought lots of books to look at.  She missed Hayden and kept asking about him, but I think she really enjoyed having me all to herself.


So they had her drink a little milk every 15 minutes and came in to check for any reactions.  She passed!  No skin reactions, and she kept breathing, so that's good.  He told me to ahead and open up her diet, which is great news.  Now she can just eat what we eat!  But I can't get her to eat cheese.  She keeps saying, "I'm awergic!  I can't eat cheese!"


A couple months ago we won free passes to  a place called Snapperz and we decided to take Hayden the Monday after his birthday.  It was so fun! They had this big plaything... Think like the playplaces at McDonald's, but bigger and better.  They also had some inflatables, like a maze and a big slide.  They let the parents get on all the equipment too, so it was a fun activity for our whole family!  Derrick and I felt like kids again...till we got sore really fast.  I wonder if people thought it was weird that a 5 months pregnant lady was up playing.


You can't see very well, but this is Hayden going down the slide.  He spent a lot of time here...this was probably his favorite.  He went down backwards, headfirst, by jumping, you name it. I'm sure we will go back.


And that's that.

And just you wait until I can tell you about my day today.  It's going to be a good one...stay tuned.

6 comments:

Sheri E. said...

That's great that Halle's tesing went well and that you can start giving her milk. That's so cute that Halle and Hayden look out for each other and love each other so much.

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

I'm glad the tests turned out good. I love that Hayden and Halle are such good little friends too. Doesn't it make life so much easier?

That play place looks like a lot of fun too. What a fun day.

Kelsey Fairbanks said...

I'm glad the test results came back negative... you know what I mean. I'm glad she can eat normal! I just love it when you post!

Delia said...

Yay that she can have milk. Those allergy tests are not super fun. Our office here puts a movie on for them which is not as educational :) but is a really great distraction and makes the wait go by fast.

I loved reading your update. Hopefully the construction doesn't last too long!

Laura said...

I have to say, I'm slightly jealous. My kids coexist at best...I don't know that I would call them the best of friends. Lucky for your family!

And I'm curious to hear about your day. Just guessing from what I did a couple weeks ago...am I close?

Tannie Datwyler said...

Erin - your kids are too cute! That's awesome about the milk allergy - seriously, what a relief, right? I know we were relieved when Claire was done with hers.

Too bad Halle is phasing out naps... Linus is still going strong. But he stays up LATE at night in his bed (we are talking 10:00 when I put him in there at 8:00).

Claire freaked out and cried when Linus sliced his head open and we had to go to the doctor. He, on the other hand was fine (dripping blood and all) after I gave him a hug.