April 22, 2009

I Love Today

It's a gorgeous day. Today is the kind of day I have been waiting for since it first snowed. I try (sort of) to like winter every year, but it's useless. I feel so trapped in my house because I can't stand being cold and wet. By the end I just start feeling awful and moody. The short daylight hours don't help either. That's why I love today! I feel free again. I just opened the back door for Hayden to go in and out of and play all day. I opened all the windows and let the fresh air and gorgeous sunlight in. I turned on the ceiling fans and the air conditioning in the car! I love this!

"Hike!"

"Hi mama!"

Tuesday was good too. I had to clean out the car because we are selling it. I was worried about Hayden running off, so I turned on the water for him to play in to keep him there. It worked! The first couple times he got himself wet he just giggled with delight.



But Monday. Monday was not so good. It was just generally one of those days where you have so much to do, but you keep hitting a brick wall. Needy babies, extra messes, lots of tantrums, that kind of thing. I took a break and sat down to nurse the baby. A few minutes later, Hayden came up to me and wanted me to wash his hands... because there was a TON of vaseline smeared all over them. OH NO. I went into the living room to see what the damage was. I keep vaseline in the diaper bag to use for the kids' rashes. Hayden had taken it out and smeared the whole tub onto the carpet. The whole thing. It was a big tub. I took pictures because I didn't think Derrick would believe how bad it was.


He got it all over my mommy cover, my pump bag, a little on our couch, and on a pair of his shorts which we had to throw away because they were hopeless. If you have never tried to clean up vaseline before, lucky you. It's some greasy stuff. After about half a bottle of dish soap, I was able to get it off his hands and legs. Then I scraped it off our carpet with a spoon. I tried all I could to blot it out of the carpet with dish soap, but I was unsuccessful. Derrick got it later, but the point is that it was a really hard day. As I was googling how to clean up vaseline I came across this: The Hardest Job You'll Ever Love - It's long, but read it! It made me cry, which turned out to my advantage, because Derrick saw me. He took us all out to dinner so I didn't have to cook. hehehe. I'm so glad I have him. He gave me a big hug, and I felt instantly better. He knew just how to treat me to make me feel better and he understood that sometimes I just have days that like that.

So Monday was hard. But it's ok, because there are days like today where we can play in the sun and draw with chalk on the sidewalk.


Showing me a rock he found.

And here is your dose of Halle for the day. Yeah, I'm a horrible mother and I don't take nearly as many pictures of my second. She's always sleeping though...

9 comments:

Jes said...

Ditto with today!!!(and the snow!! lol) I was actually just thinking of doing a post about it too. :) It just felt SO good today! Im so unbelievably sad that this weekend is supposed to get cold and miserable again!

I love Hayden's rock picture! lol. Such a cute boy! -Bet he's enjoying this warm weather more than we are! :)

I think Addie has the same socks as Halle in the pic... fun huh?! Trumpette?

Diane Bohn said...

Halle is so long in the last picture! She looks like's she's almost as tall as Hayden! heehee. They're so cute together!

Sorry about the Vaseline! What a mess! We have the same mommy cover though! I love it! :)

This weather is definitely the best! I already have a sunburn from being outside so much the last couple of days. But I don't mind.

I got those catalogs sent off to your mom today, so they should be there in a day or two. Hope she doesn't mind the wait. I just never got around to going to the post office.

Anonymous said...

You should move to Arizona! No winter! I don't mind winter for the first couple months. By the middle of January, I'm ready for spring. Once it finally warms up, I realize how dead I felt over the winter. Yay for spring!

I cannot believe the vaseline! How did Derrick end up getting it out? I'm glad he was there to take care of you after a bad day!

While I can't relate to the craziness of motherhood yet, that article brought tears to my eyes too! (The little boy bringing his mom a cookie- so sweet!) Thank you for sharing!

Jared and Delia said...

Yay for Spring!

I didn't know you guys were selling your car. Good luck with all that.

I found a box at Walmart. I know...lame. I didn't have time to look for more so I will go back. I am on it!:) I also have a friend who is a manager at Maceys and I can get him to stash some boxes before they get crushed.

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

Oh Erin I am SO SORRY! Here I came over on Monday night in a total panic and crying because I was so stressed and you didn't even tell me you had such an awful day! Sometimes being a mother is hard... and then they do those "cute" little things that make us remember why we LOVE being moms.

Anonymous said...

I always tell people that being a mom is SO hard but I wouldn't trade it for anything!! I swear kids come knowing when they are going to have to do something cute to make up for all the trouble they get themselves into. I loved that article. There have been so many times where Kelton has done the same thing as that little boy did, I really need to remember to ask questions first. thanks for sharing, and I hope you have more days like today, than monday.

Kym said...

Erin, I just love your kids to pieces! They are so cute! I'm sorry about the vaseline incident. If you ever need some help with anything don't hesitate to ask. Hayden's song is dang cute too!

Ryan and Steph Dudley said...

That's funny that you say you're a horrible mother. Please! You are an excellent mother. It has been so beautiful outside. Now I just need to muster up the motivation to work on my yard.

Janna said...

I somehow lost you on my bloglist and stuff without realizing it sorry. It is good to see how you guys are again. Halle is a doll. I love the onsie in the last picture. We have the same pack of onsies for Grace. They are my favorite.